1.19.2006

that's gloomy

so if you haven't been aware of this, 2006 has been dubbed the year of the baby. if i'm not preggers or babied by 1/2007, it will not be for lack of trying. the baby-making doesn't officially start for another month or so, but in preparation i have started taking prenatals every day, paying closer attention to my ovulation, making greener choices in my diet, and telling myself every day that tomorrow is the day i start weaning myself off of caffeine. last night was another preparation milestone. my hair is the color of murky lake water. when preggers, you are not allowed to dye your hair. the chemicals in the hair dye seep into your scalp and can cause a miscarriage. no fooling. for someone like me, who hates her natural hair color and dyes it about every 4-5 weeks (it grows like a weed even when i'm not taking prenatals or any other vitamin), this is pretty traumatic. my children will not hear "i was in labor with you for 3 days." it will be "i had to give up sushi and cheese, and dying my hair for 10 months thanks to you!" so why the murky lake water, color? it turns out they don't make "so dark and ash blond it looks grey with 40% real-grey" hair coloring. i checked. i tried a few years ago to find a hair dye that was my natural color so i could grow out the dyed stuff and chop it off, but much to my dismay, i found that the hair growing out was made of grey. once it became apparent that no dye matched my color (even without the grey) i abandoned that quest and started making it a color i liked (light reddish blond with non-red highlights). last night, the closest i could find was "dark natural blonde" which it turns out is murky lake water. the really, really depressing part is that while it's considerably closer to my natural color that what i had on it before, it's still richer and more interesting that what's going to manifest in the coming months. little stephie better appreciate this.

2 Comments:

At 1/24/2006 11:53:00 AM, Anonymous will said...

murky lake can be nice.

 
At 12/07/2006 02:25:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

colouring your hair does NOT cause a miscarriage. Don't spread fear, you haven;t done your research. I have.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home